17 July 2017

My book of the month: July

Here's my confession up front: I usually steer clear of books set in World War II Britain because I tire of the stiff upper lip attitude that seems prevalent in most of the stories set in this time. It may have been true but I don't want to read any more about it.

This novel is different. It charmed me with its story lines about relationships and the natural inclination of people to support each other during terrible events. It could really have been set in any society during war.


The characters are different ages and react in different ways to the bombing of the town of Chilbury in 1940. Portrayed through letters written by various characters, the story shows how human resilience can shine to make life worthwhile, even in difficult times.

You can read more about The Chilbury Ladies Choir on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)